10 August 2013

A Sentimental Sonnet

This sonnet is about as overtly sentimental as I get. It was originally the closing sonnet to the "sonnet of sonnets" in my collection The Distant Belovèd, but I pulled it in favor of a much better one. Still, I'm not ashamed of this sonnet's sentimentality, nor its honesty. Though I would never send it out to editors (I know very well it isn't publishable), I have no qualms about posting it on this blog.


IN LOVING YOU

Such bounty you have given unaware!
In loving you, I learned to see the earth
With clearer, more discerning eyes; to dare
Explore anew the mind's unbounded worth.

You gave my spirit strength to gain new height,
And strive for what is noblest, what is best;
Belief in what exists beyond this sight,
Beyond this life and earth's most lofty crest.

You gave my soul voracity for Truth;
In loving you, I saw what I had not,
Then came to know at last what I had sought,
And found again the Father of my youth.

My heart is hungry for the God that gave me you;
In loving you, I found the Love that is most true.


© Leticia Austria 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...