07 March 2012

Starting a Bucket List

I have passed the half-century mark and there are still many unfulfilled dreams in my bucket, some big, some small, some definitely do-able, some not so much. As is sadly and so often the case, finances (rather, lack thereof) render those in that last category nearly impossible. But one can still dream, can't one?

I have nothing to complain about, really. My life has been full thus far and punctuated with ventures, adventures, and misadventures; and indeed much has been gained from them all, to torture a well-worn vernacular. I already have memories sufficient in number and variety to keep me company. But there are so many memories yet to be made. Hopefully, some of these will be among them.

Here's my list so far (!):
  • Venice
  • Verona
  • Siena again
  • Rent a farmhouse in Tuscany or Umbria for at least 2 weeks
  • England's Lake District
  • Cornwall
  • London again
  • Rent a cottage in Yorkshire or Surrey for at least 2 weeks
  • Publish a book of my poetry (NOT self-publish or e-book)
  • Write at least one novel or memoir (not necessarily to publish; I'd be satisfied just to write one)
  • Pay at least one more visit to the Abbey of Regina Laudis
  • Read every single book on my "to be read" shelves (this alone will take the rest of my life)
  • Further my Italian language study, including Neopolitan and Venetian
  • Translate the rest of Svevo's plays (I've done a few already); again, not necessarily to publish
  • Learn Latin for real so I can read Ovid and Virgil in the language
  • Learn classical Greek so I can read Homer in the language
  • See Stephen Hough perform either in recital or with orchestra, preferably both
  • See David Hyde Pierce in a play or musical, preferably both
  • Meet David Hyde Pierce. Then I can die happy.
  • Send The Distant Belovèd, in both English and Italian, to the person I wrote it for, along with a letter of confession. Then I can truly rest in peace.
   

1 comment:

  1. Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...