07 May 2012

Blogging A to Z: "T" Movies

The reason I'm doing the movie title thing again is because a) I can't come up with a "T" topic that I really want to write about, b) I've been writing a letter for most of the afternoon, so my originality is shot for the day anyway, and c) I'm lazy. So here's what I found among my DVDs:


Talk of the Town  (1942) Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Ronald Colman  I love the name of Cary Grant's character in this: Leopold Dilg. Very funny romantic comedy in which Grant plays an escaped prisoner who hides out in Jean Arthur's house.

The Tangerine Bear  (2000) voiced by Tom Bosley, David Hyde Pierce, Howie Mandel, et al  I only bought this because of David Hyde Pierce, but I actually like it. Good children's Christmas film.

Tara Road  (2005) Olivia Williams, Andie MacDowell  Based on the book by Maeve Binchy. I'm a big fan of Olivia Williams (who played Jane Fairfax in the Kate Beckinsale Emma, and also Jane Austen in Miss Austen Regrets). I'm not a big fan of Andie MacDowell, however. I just don't think she's a very good actress. But I do like this film. Never read the book, so I can't say how true the film is to it. Similar in premise to The Holiday with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz (who I also don't think is a very good actress), the whole switching houses idea.

That Touch of Mink  (1962) Cary Grant, Doris Day  Doris makes the funniest faces in this movie! I just love her.

Then She Found Me  (2007) Helen Hunt, Colin Firth  I only keep this in my collection because of Colin Firth. It's just an okay film, nothing exceptional. I read the novel, by Elinor Lipman, years ago when it first came out, but don't remember it at all.

Theodora Goes Wild  (1936) Irene Dunne, Melvyn Douglas  Dunne is one of my very favorite actresses. She's great at both comedy and drama, and can sing, too. This is a very hard film to find, unfortunately. I had to buy it in a set along with three other lesser-known screwball comedies, but it was worth it.

Three Coins in a Fountain  (1954) Clifton Webb, Dorothy Maguire, Rossano Brazzi, et al  I just love light romantic comedies about Americans in Europe! The storyline with Brazzi is especially romantic.

Three Little Words  (1950) Fred Astaire, Red Skelton, Vera-Ellen  A musical biopic about the Tin Pan Alley songwriting team of  Kalmar and Ruby. Fun stuff, and some phenomenal dancing from Astaire and Vera-Ellen.

Three Men and a Baby  (1987) Tom Selleck, Ted Danson, Steve Gutenberg  Soooo '80s! But still entertaining, and Selleck was a hunk. I love their apartment.

The Three Musketeers  (1973) Michael York, Richard Chamberlain, Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch  What is it about Oliver Reed? He's not handsome, he's overweight -- but somehow, he's very sexy in a sort of dangerous way. Michael York was very representative of typical male attractiveness in the '70s: slender and wiry. General tastes in that area now seem to lean toward the buff and brawny, but I'd still find him appealing today. Raquel Welch is quite funny in this as a comely klutz.

The Thrill of It All!  (1963) Doris Day, James Garner  One of my earliest movie-going memories was seeing this in Killeen at the Ft. Hood theater. Two things in this film have stayed with me since that first viewing: James Garner driving his car into a swimming pool, and Doris Day having her picture taken kissing a bar of Happy Soap.

To Catch a Thief  (1955) Cary Grant, Grace Kelly  I've yet to watch this one all the way through.

To Have and Have Not  (1944) Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall  Bacall's debut movie. She and Bogie fell in love while filming it, and of course, they later married. Their chemistry is still palpable!

To Sir, With Love  (1967) Sidney Poitier, Judy Geeson  Classic teacher vs. students movie. This is so much a film of its time, though, and if the same story were filmed today it would probably be much darker and even violent. But I doubt it would be any more affecting. Plus which, this has fun '60s hairdos and clothes, not to mention Lulu (the Adele of the '60s) singing the hit title song.



Tootsie  (1982) Dustin Hoffman, Jessica Lange, Teri Garr  Classic! Too bad Dustin didn't win an Oscar for this. Teri Garr should have won Best Supporting instead of Jessica Lange, but I think they gave it to Lange as consolation for losing Best Actress (for Frances) to Meryl Streep (for Sophie's Choice) in that same year.

Top Hat  (1935) Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers  Another film I've never seen all the way through. But I will!

A Touch of Class  (1973) Glenda Jackson, George Segal  I love this film! Glenda Jackson won her second Best Actress Oscar for this, and deservedly so. (Her first, won the year before this, was for Women in Love -- and no, it's not about lesbians!) The script is so smart and witty, and the whole cast is terrific. If you haven't seen it, you really should.

Treasure Planet  (2002) voiced by Emma Thompson, David Hyde Pierce, Joseph Gordon-Levitt  Another purchased solely for David Hyde Pierce. Haven't watched it yet.

The Trouble with Angels  (1966) Hayley Mills, Rosalind Russell  I sooo love this. Hayley plays a rebellious orphaned teenager whose wealthy, playboy uncle/guardian sends her to a convent school. She butts heads and wits with the marvelous Rosalind Russell, who plays the Mother Superior.

Truly Madly Deeply  (1990) Juliet Stevenson, Alan Rickman  One of my top ten favorite films of all time! A romantic ghost story that is more sophisticated than Ghost. It's the thinking person's Ghost. Juliet Stevenson is incredible in it (it was written for her, in fact), and Alan Rickman is his usual wonderful self. A must-see!

The Turning Point  (1977) Shirley MacLaine, Anne Bancroft  Unfortunately, and inexplicably, this is no longer available on DVD. Fortunately, I have it! This film has the dubious distinction of being nominated for 11 Oscars and not winning a single one. MacLaine and Bancroft give great performances. Not to be confused with the more recent movie of the same name.

The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan  (1979) Lindsay Wagner, Marc Singer  This is one of my secret shames/pleasures. It was a made-for-TV movie, and is, admittedly, really cheesy. But I remember seeing it when it aired, then when it showed on HBO or Showtime, and I loved it then (remember, I was young and foolish). Now I watch it and cringe a little, but I still secretly love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...