14 September 2013

The Exaltation of the Holy Cross

 
     Today the Catholic Church celebrates the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, a day that is especially meaningful for me because it was my feast day when I was a novice, my full name in religion being Sr. Maria Simona of the Passion and Cross of Jesus.
     During my novitiate I wrote a hymn text in honor of this feast. The meter (organists will understand this) is 7.6.7.6., and the tune I recommend it to be sung to is ST. THEODULPH, although  ELLACOMBE works well, too.
 
"O Holy Cross of Jesus"
for the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross
7.6.7.6.

1.  O Holy Cross of Jesus,
     We honor you this day.
     Christ shed His blood upon you
     And gave mankind the way
     To blessèd life eternal
     With all the Saints above,
     Where angels sing in chorus
     To praise the Father's love.

2.  O blessed Cross of Jesus,
     The victory is won;
     Our Father, in His mercy,
     Did send His only Son.
     And through His bitter Passion,
     His agony and pain,
     The bonds of sin were broken;
     His death became our gain.

3.  O glorious Cross of Jesus,
     Forever may you be
     A symbol of the God-Man
     Who came to set us free
     From death's eternal prison,
     From night that never ends.
     The legacy of Adam
     God's love for us transcends.

4.  All praise to God the Father
     And to His only Son
     And to the Holy Spirit,
     Almighty Three in One!
     O Cross of our salvation,
     Upon your wood He died
     To give us life eternal,
     In body glorified.

© Leticia Austria 2005

     Unfortunately, I never did get to hear this sung in the monastery. We have, however, used it at the little chapel where I currently cantor and play the organ.
     It was Christ Crucified that brought me back to my faith. The Holy Cross will always hold the most hallowed place in my heart. When I look at Jesus on the cross, I see nothing but love, a love I will strive to repay as best as my feeble soul can. And that's all I will say.
 
Tune: ST. THEODULPH


Tune: ELLACOMBE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...