30 October 2012

From My Big Orange Book

In my Big Orange Book I have copied down several poems by American lyric poet Sara Teasdale. Her poems have resonated with me since college, when I found an early edition of her volume Love Songs in an antiquarian bookstore. She's been a major influence on my own poetry. Though her early work can at times be what one might call "sentimental," her best poems are, in my opinion, quite moving. Her language is accessible and also extremely musical, which is why many composers, including most notably John Duke, have chosen her texts to set to music.
 
Teasdale used this sonnet as the introduction to Love Songs. It has no title, but simply bears the dedication "To E." I assume she wrote it for her husband, Ernst Filsinger. It's one of my favorite Teasdale poems.
 
        I have remembered beauty in the night,
           Against black silences I waked to see
           A shower of sunlight over Italy
        And Green Ravello dreaming on her height;
        I have remembered music in the dark,
           The clean swift brightness of a fugue of Bach's,
           And running water singing on the rocks
        When once in English woods I heard a lark.
 
        But all remembered beauty is no more
           Than a vague prelude to the thought of you—
           You are the rarest soul I ever knew,
              Lover of beauty, knightliest and best;
        My thoughts seek you as waves that seek the shore,
              And when I think of you, I am at rest.
 
 
source


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...