03 March 2013

In My Own Little Corner

     My apologies to Oscar Hammerstein for stealing one of his song titles from Cinderella.
     In monastic life, one can not only pray and meditate in the chapel or the oratory, but in one's cell. In fact, one is strongly encouraged to pray in one's cell, to shut the door and be silent and alone with God whenever possible. This is one of the many aspects of monastic life that I miss greatly.
     It isn't so easy out here "in the world." A house is not a cloister, after all. Since I don't live alone, there are almost always people turning on the television or the radio, family and friends dropping by to visit. There are errands to run, chores to do, appointments to keep; not just my own, but my mother's as well. I simply cannot keep a monastic horarium, nor should I expect to. The best I can do is rise early enough in the morning to ensure I have ample time to pray Lauds and the Office of Readings, perhaps get in some lectio divina; and pray Vespers/Rosary/Stations rather late, around seven or eight, and Compline just before bedtime. If I can manage to wedge in another office in the middle of the day, I'm doing really well. But most days, I just can't. Aside from everything else, the house is so small, it's impossible to shut out daytime noise and the living room television, which is almost always on until the early evening.
     Silent, solitary prayer time is so very important and precious, and for this, it's good to have a special prayer corner. Mine is in my bedroom, right next to my bed, very convenient. Several years ago, as a Christmas present, my brother built for me a beautiful prie-dieu (literally "pray-God"), complete with a fold-up kneeler and a shelf in which I store my breviaries and Bible. Behind the prie-dieu are all my theology and inspirational books, saints' biographies, and miscellaneous prayer books. My crucifix hangs just above eye level when I kneel. There is a beautiful image of the Sacred Heart on one wall of the corner, and an equally beautiful image of Our Blessed Mother on the other wall. And since I can no longer kneel more than a half hour at a time, I keep a folding chair right next to the prie-dieu.
     Beginning and ending each day in silence before God, in addition to keeping him as foremost in my thoughts as I can during the day, has become so crucial, I just don't feel right if for any reason that routine is broken. My little prayer corner is my favorite part of our house; it is the place where I can throw myself into the Father's loving arms, bringing with me not only my cares, but those of my family, my friends, and the whole world. It is where I feel closest to my fellow human beings, no matter what their beliefs, or lack thereof. It is where I can meditate on God's infinite mercy, lose myself in the wonder of his love, and thank him for everything he's given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...