03 May 2013

Marco Praga: The Ideal Wife (Part Five)

To read Acts I and II, click "Italian Plays in Translation" above. To remind you of the characters, here is the cast:
     ANDREA CAMPIANI, stockbroker
     GIULIA, his wife
     GIANNINO, their 7-year-old son
     GUSTAVO VELATI, lawyer
     COSTANZO MONTICELLI, his associate
     TERESA, the Campiani's maid
     ETTORE, servant

ACT III
A salon in the Campiani's house.
 
Scene 1
GIULIA, COSTANZO
 
(An electric bell rings OS.)
 
GIULIA     (To Costanzo, who enters through the US door.)  Oh, hello! So early? And is it just you?
COSTANZO     How are you?
GIULIA     Very well, thank you. Are you alone?
COSTANZO     At the moment. Forgive me, but -- you seem very nervous.
GIULIA     I'm not at all.
COSTANZO     In that case, I need to ask a great favour: that you remain calm and listen to what I have to say.
GIULIA     What have you to say? Didn't you come for dinner? Is Velati not coming?
COSTANZO     Stay calm, I beg you.
GIULIA     I am very calm!
COSTANZO     You don't seem to be. Is your husband out?
GIULIA     Yes.
COSTANZO     And ... ?
GIULIA     And what?
COSTANZO     Did anything happen?
GIULIA     When?
COSTANZO     After your -- visit -- yesterday.
GIULIA     Such as?
COSTANZO     I don't know -- a suspicion -- some doubt on your husband's part --
GIULIA     My husband has never doubted me.
COSTANZO     I only ask, because Gustavo was very much troubled.
GIULIA     Oh, no; you are mistaken. My husband behaved yesterday as he always does.
COSTANZO     Gustavo said he was upset.
GIULIA     Because he thought it imprudent of me to go to Gustavo's house; nothing more.
COSTANZO     But Gustavo feared that perhaps your husband might have had other thoughts afterward; that, upon reflection --
GIULIA     My dear boy, it is up to the wife to guide and inspire her husband's thoughts.
COSTANZO     Well, you see, you were so flustered, he feared you might not have been able to control yourself.
GIULIA     Your friend doesn't know me at all.
COSTANZO     On the contrary, he claims to know you very well. But what happened yesterday was so unprecedented.
GIULIA     I never lose my composure, no matter what the circumstances. What's more, my friend, it takes more than an awkward incident, however serious, to destroy such trust as I know how to earn. And this is why I am not afraid, why I can take such risks when necessary, or simply when I want to. But what a coward your friend is! The slightest hint of a duel sends him into a panic!
COSTANZO     Oh, no, not Gustavo. He is a gentleman, a man of courage --
GIULIA     A man of courage! You think so? But let's not talk of nonsense. Is he coming? You did receive my note, did you not? And you told him of our invitation?
COSTANZO     Yes.
GIULIA     I wrote to you because I imagined you had been apprised of everything. Oh, I'm not annoyed with him for confiding in you; rather, you men are fortunate to have each other to ask advice. That isn't the case among women. And he has such need of advice! Is he coming, then?
COSTANZO     If you want him.
GIULIA     Certainly I do. I am most anxious that he come. My husband extended the invitation to you both. Should he not come, after what happened yesterday, it would seem very strange indeed. My husband would .... Everything must go smoothly; nothing, but nothing, must remind him of yesterday. Gustavo must come, as if nothing had happened.
COSTANZO     He might invent an excuse in order to avoid an awkward situation.
GIULIA     But why should it be awkward?
COSTANZO     Anyhow, you have such influence over your husband; you said so yourself.
GIULIA     Oh, must I always fight my own battles, and save myself? No, he should come and help me; it's his duty. Ah -- I see. He'd rather not face me today! I thought not. Which is why I wrote to you; I know you have some influence with him, and can make him be reasonable. Then tell him to come, or he'd better take care!
COSTANZO     You frighten me, Signora. What would you do?
GIULIA     I don't know. I could become so annoyed, disgusted -- not at his indifference, no, but at his selfishness -- that I wouldn't manage to conceal it from my husband; I wouldn't be as I normally am towards him. What would happen then? And, whatever the consequences, would your friend be disposed to bear them? At any rate, if he doesn't come today, he shall have to come tomorrow, or the next day; he cannot be so naive as to think that, just because he is no longer my -- my lover -- , he can cease to be our friend. I have taken great pains not to compromise myself during this affair. I've no intention of doing so now that it's ended.
COASTANZO     But --
GIULIA     My dear, when one has been the lover of a woman such as I, one must be prepared to bear the consequences. He shall marry and start a new life. Perhaps he'll not introduce his wife to us; I shouldn't care to know her. By and by shall stop visiting us, then we shan't see him at all. But make this quite clear to him: until that time, he must divide his attentions between her and me. Rather, between her and us. Nothing else will do.  (Enter Andrea through US door.) Oh, Andrea -- here is Monticelli!

END SCENE
 
Scene 2
GIULIA, ANDREA, COSTANZO
 
ANDREA     Monticelli, my good man!
GIULIA     He wishes to convey Velati's regrets that he shall not be dining with us.
ANDREA     Oh! Why not?
GIULIA     One of their clients has arrived from Turin; they have an important meeting with him at nine, and thought it impolite to leave us immediately after dinner. But I urged them to come just the same.
ANDREA     Of course! We'd much rather have your company even for a little than not at all.
GIULIA     No need to insist; I've already convinced Monticelli. And he's promised to fetch Velati.
ANDREA     No need to stand on ceremony with us.
GIULIA     Are we going to the ballet?
ANDREA     Ballet?
GIULIA     Yes, we promised Giannino, if you remember.
ANDREA     We shall go, if you wish.  (To Costanzo.)  Forgive me; I must leave you. There is some business to be taken care of before dinner concerning Velati. However, you may tell him that everything is under control. He may rest assured. Until later, then.  (Exits.)
 
END SCENE
 
Scene 3
GIULIA, COSTANZO
 
COSTANZO     (Bowing.)  Signora ....
GIULIA     You're leaving?
COSTANZO     Yes, I'm going to Gustavo's -- and then to see that client from Turin that you so cleverly invented for me.
GIULIA     I didn't invent him; I saw the appointment in his diary.
COSTANZO     Ah.
GIULIA     You could send Velati to the meeting alone. You needn't both be there, surely?
COSTANZO     Not at all!
GIULIA     Then you may come with us to the ballet.
COSTANZO     I shall see you at dinner.
GIULIA     With Velati!
COSTANZO     Yes, but -- please be indulgent. You have such understanding of life and know how to take things into your own hands. You must make allowances for the weakness of human nature.
GIULIA     For a man's nature, especially. Men are made of weaker stuff than women; you may believe that.
COSTANZO     Then you'll lighten his sentence.
GIULIA     Of course.
COSTANZO     And you're perfectly calm, are you not?
GIULIA     Perfectly.
COSTANZO     And your husband is in the house.
GIULIA     My husband is in the house.
COSTANZO     In short, what's done is done. We shall speak no more of the past.
GIULIA     Friends, just as before!  (Gazes at him a moment. )  What an excellent friend Velati has in you! And how you underestimate yourself, for his sake.
COSTANZO     I simply follow your lead. You've taken your side. It's best, after all.
GIULIA     Yes. And perhaps you think ill of me, seeing me so -- how shall I put it? -- so resigned. You are thinking: this woman has never truly loved, and she pretends to be so indifferent about being otssed aside because --
COSTANZO     No, I don't think that, I assure you. Rather, I think you a modern woman who uses her head. There is a strange, yet agreeable, balance in you between love for a man and devotion to your home. And with the word "home," I refer to the entire conglomeration of persons, affections, duties, etc., which a young woman acquires upon becoming a wife. You sacrifice and risk everything for a man who is not your husband, yes; but not to the point of compromising your devotion to your home. The day that this devotion is put in danger, you retreat. As long as you can be both wife and lover, you are both, with all the passion and enthusiasm within you. But when it becomes necessary to choose one or the other, you choose wife. You are playing a role in the comedy of love: "Commedia Appassionata," if you will, but one with a happy ending. The tragic ending is not for you. And you have now reached a point in your relationship with Gustavo which, if pressed, may cause the drama to go awry. It is that certain "balance" in you that makes you exit from the scene.
GIULIA     So that is your estimation of me. But you deny me my impulses, my spirit --
COSTANZO     Those things always prove fatal!  (Almost whispering in ear.)  You have a lover, yet your husband is the happiest of men. There are women that are deemed honest who do not make their husbands as happy and content as you make yours.
GIULIA     (Looking at him penetratingly. )  Would you like a wife such as I?
COSTANZO     That's another question! But this much is true of your husband -- he has his cake, and gets to enjoy it too. You -- you are certainly not the worst of women! Do you think I judge you ill?
GIULIA     I think you're a cynic!
COSTANZO     A cynic? But why? I rather think I possess the admirable ability to see the good in everyone. Well, then -- goodbye until this evening.  (Shakes her hand and exits US. )
 
END SCENE
 
Scene 4
GIULIA, ANDREA
 
GIULIA     (To Andrea, who has entered R and proceeds to look for something in the room.)  What are you looking for?
ANDREA     I didn't leave some papers in here a little while ago, did I? Ah, here they are. I'll be in my study.
GIULIA     Working on Sunday? Aren't you going out at all today?
ANREA     No.
GIULIA     Giannino has not budged an inch all day; you should take him for a walk.
ANDREA     Won't you be going out yourself?
GIULIA     No. You know very well that one must supervise when one is expecting guests. Teresa and Antonietta can't really be trusted. You should trot over to the theatre with Giannino to secure a box for tonight.
ANDREA     But it's half-past five.
GIULIA     There's planty of time before dinner.
ANDREA     Very well; see that Giannino is dressed.  (Begins to leave.)
GIULIA     Andrea what is the matter?
ANDREA     What? Nothing.
GIULIA     Are you still angry?
ANDREA     I never was. I told you what I thought right to tell you. That is all.
GIULIA     Then what is it?
ANDREA     You must understand that I'm still a bit worried.
GIULIA     Why?
ANDREA     Your heedlessness gives me cause for concern -- a heedlessness of which you are unaware. I've never lectured you, nor have I ever imposed upon you any desire that you be one of those ridiculously prudish women who abide by appearances, and who so often confuse the maintaining of appearances with honor. And while I have never before been disturbed by your ease and assurance. Yesterday's impropriety does disturb me greatly.
GIULIA     One mistake, one foolish little mistake, and your head spins with all sorts of worries and imaginings -- and doubts, perhaps! what else are you husbands capable of?
ANDREA     You're wrong to talk so, Giulia! Sometimes you speak in the same way that you act -- without thinking. and you speak of things that, if you understood their significance, would make you blush to speak of!
GIULIA     Then why do you oblige me to say them?
ANDREA     I?
GIULIA     Yes. You know exactly how to goad me. Yesterday you made me see what a mistake I had made, and lectured me for it. I asked you to forgive me. That should be the end ot it! But, no -- you are still lecturing!
ANDREA     No, my dear. I only fear that you should forget, that tomorrow you might make another mistake -- less serious, perhaps, but mistake nonetheless.
GIULIA     Didn't I have good reason to see Velati? I wanted to warn him, despite what you said, because you didn't want to do it; you didn't want to worry him. But I didn't want you to involve yourself in any trouble on account of someone else. Do you understand?
ANDREA     And if I hadn't by chance met you there, you perhaps wouldn't have informed me of what you had done.
GIULIA     On the contrary; I would have told you as soon as possible. Have I ever concealed anything from you?
ANDREA     I don't know -- I don't believe so. But, Giulia, you should've written Velati to come here. He lives alone, in the center of town; people know he's our friend, but --
GIULIA     All right, I understand! I was wrong. People talk, rumours get started .... How fortunate he is engaged to be married!
ANDREA     Oh, Giulia! I'm a poor man if you feel you have to say such a thing to placate me! It's quite obvious you don't think clearly!  (Turns to leave.)
GIULIA     Andrea!  (Approaches him tenderly. )  Please forgive me. Don't scold anymore.
ANDREA    It's only that I love you, Giulia, and am very mindful of your reputation. I know that the smallest indiscretion has often been the cause of great misfortune. You see -- I wish all our acquaintance might have seen you yesterday as you left this house arm-in-arm with me. There! We'll speak no more about this. Go and dress Giannino. I shall replace these papers and return shortly.  (Exits R. )
 
END SCENE
 
[To be continued. ]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...