17 June 2013

Monday Scrapbag

Things that make me smile:
  • Dog's paws
  • Invisible mockingbird singing away
  • My mother's glee over the Spurs
  • Young purple martins grooming themselves
  • My baby grandniece's smile, and the deep wrinkles around her wrists and ankles
Things that make me ponder:
  • What is the best course of action when chewing on something and the urge to sneeze comes on suddenly, especially in public
  • Why the afternoons seem to be so short, when the days are now actually longer
  • Why cats love boxes so much that they will contort their bodies in every possible way in order to fit into the smallest ones
Things uppermost on my reading list:
  • I really need to finish Romano Guardini's The Lord and move on to Fulton J. Sheen's Life of Christ, so that I can compare these two classics and enrich my future meditations on the Gospels
  • Sharon Old's Stag's Leap, which recently won both the Pulitzer and the T. S. Eliot Prize
  • Another hagiography on Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati, or re-read The Hidden Face (about St Thérèse of Lisieux)
Things I need to work on:
  • My near-addiction to potato sticks and potato chips
  • Spending too much time at the computer
  • Getting to bed earlier and rising earlier
  • Going to confession more frequently
  • Not interrupting my mother, even though I usually know what she's going to say before she says it
  • Writing something every day, especially poetry
  • Remembering more often to pray brief, silent prayers during the course of the day. I used to practice the "Jesus Prayer"; I really should go back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...