23 July 2013

Top Ten Words That Make Me NOT Pick Up a Book

Over at the popular book blog, The Broke and the Bookish, they do a Top Ten Tuesday series. I only just today discovered it through another blog; can't remember which. They encourage other bloggers to do these lists, so I thought I'd take them up on this one, and a couple of others in future.

Top Ten Words that Make Me Not Pick Up a Book
  • Sci-fi: Just ain't into it.
  • Horror: Ditto. Why on earth would I want to scare the bejeebuz out of myself?
  • Crime: Get enough of it on the news, thank you. Oh—"crime" also includes mysteries. The only mysteries I'll read are of the Nancy Drew, The Dana Girls, and Trixie Belden ilk.
  • Erotic/Erotica/Sex etc.: I admit, I used to be a huge fan of the TV series Sex and the City. But lately, I've just gotten genuinely fed up with the glamorization of casual sex, which has done nothing but objectify women (and men, for that matter), and the increasingly flippant attitude toward what is meant to be an act of love.
  • Chick Lit: Maybe it's just that I'm not altogether sure what that term means. And maybe I just don't care enough to find out.
  • Holocaust: Too sad, too horrible.
  • Vampire: Just don't get it, and don't want to.
  • Political: Again, I get enough of it on the news.
  • Journey: In the psychological or biographical sense. A popular "buzz word" that has worn out its welcome at my door.
  • Best-seller: Call me ornery, but if a book is on a best-seller list, I'm automatically turned off! I know, I know, I'm weird.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...