02 October 2011

On Letters and Letter Writing





I've decided to take a brief interlude from my monastery narrative while I decide exactly how much more of that story I should tell -- or rather, can tell. Always a touchy thing, writing something autobiographical when nearly everyone involved is still living. Moreover, the reasons for my eventual departure from the monastery are very complex and deeply personal. So I'll think about all that. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy these two sonnets I wrote a few years ago -- rather Victorian in tone, but maybe that serves the subject.


THE LETTER NEVER SENT
 
 
I'd write my true, unvarnished heart to you
If only I were sure you'd have it, dear,
In place of the mundane, detailed review
Of my small days and all that happens here.
I'd set my heart to music, write it out
On manuscript, each rhythm, note, and beat,
So clearly, that although it be without
A lyric, the intent would be complete.
The pen that I now hold so yearns to write
What stirs beneath the noncommital words
I send you, words I am constrained by right
As "friend" to say, all friendship's rule affords;
For if I dared to send my song, you'd hear
My heart, and all the love that's singing there.


THE MAILBOX
 
 
Some days it is so full of emptiness,
It seems to emulate the echo in
My hollow heart, the arid nothingness
Where once my dewy, eager hope had been.
On other days, it cruelly teases me
With letters, letters, like so many pins
To prick my bright balloons in callous glee.
No, none from you. The end of hope begins.
And so I tire of opening that door;
Its mockery I can no longer stand.
But just as I resolve to hope no more,
I glimpse my name in your belovèd hand!
My heart is like a brook that swells with rain;
I close the metal door and smile again.


********
 
 
My old friend, that amusing essayist "Alpha of the Plough," has this to say on the bygone art of letter-writing, all of which is just as relevant today as it was when he wrote it over a century ago:
 
 
     In the great sense letter-writing is no doubt a lost art. It was killed by the penny post and modern hurry.
     . . . .the telegraph, the telephone, and the typewriter have completed the destruction of the art of letter-witing. It is the difficulty or the scarcity of a thing that makes it treasured. If diamonds were as plentiful as pebbles we shouldn't stoop to pick them up.
     . . . .the secret of letter-writing is intimate triviality. . . .To write a good letter you must approach the job in the lightest and most casual way. You must be personal, not abstract. You must not say, "This is too small a thing to put down." You must say, "This is just the sort of small thing we talk about at home. If I tell them this they will see me, as it were, they'll hear my voice, they'll know what I'm about."
     . . . .A letter written in this vein annihilates distance; it continues the personal gossip, the intimate communion, that has been interrupted by separation; it preserves one's presence in absence. It cannot be too simple, too commonplace, too colloquial. Its familiarity is not its weakness, but its supreme virtue. If it attempts to be orderly and stately and elaborate, it may be a good essay, but it will certainly be a bad letter.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is wonderful. You managed to put into words what I have tried for years to.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...