28 April 2012

Blogging A to Z: "O" is for October

In the autumn of 1993, HGO opened the season with a musically and theatrically stunning production of Elektra. It starred Hildegard Behrens, Josephine Barstow, Leonie Rysanek; Christoph Eschenbach conducted the Houston Symphony Orchestra (for many years, HGO used both their own orchestra and the HSO; now they use their own orchestra exclusively, and a very fine one they've become, too).

Here are some entries from my journal written during the rehearsal period. I'm afraid I devoted a lot of ink to recording my own personal experience in playing the score, but I never intended my journal to be just a record of backstage goings-on. Admittedly, I now rather regret not writing more about the artists and productions, as my memory is lately disappearing along with my hair.


1 October 1993   Barstow's first music rehearsal today. I was fine for the first scene, then I went steadily downhill from there. By the offstage chorus stuff, I was playing like your average pig. How embarrassing. I had worked on the stuff after the murder of Klytemnestra all this week except yesterday, which I devoted to Chrys' earlier scenes. It just goes to show, you can't skip a day on any of this.
        Tomorrow, my "day off" (ha!), I'll spend practicing till 2pm when Barstow comes in to go over some music with Richard. I want to be solid for Behrens' rehearsal on Sunday. L said she saw Behrens in the library in New York just recently, wearing her full-length mink and tennis shoes.
        What a wonderful place this is! [I wrote this in a place called Epicure, on West Gray, a very konditorei-like place run by a certified Konditormeister from Central Europe.] In the mid-afternoon, the bookish and artistic types come in and read, or in my case, write, with a pot of coffee. Just like Europe. A middle-aged couple just came in, obviously friends of the owner, speaking German. They always have good music playing over the speakers; Sunday mornings, it's usually Mozart. Breakfast with Wolfie.
        As I get older, I find that I really have to warm up well before I play, so I've been doing about 15 minutes of Hanon before working. Today, I warmed up in one of the rehearsal rooms, and people kept poking their heads in with an expression that said, "Who the hell is doing Hanon, of all things?" But I've found it to be very beneficial--it exposes every flaw, it forces the fingers to be even, and it forces (if you will) you to relax, because one can't get through a section of Hanon being tense. When I was a kid, I could barely get through the first six exercises withot tiring and having to stop. Wimp. Now it doesn't bother me at all to play through the whole first two sections non-stop. Playing opera scores can be deadly for the technique, so one needs this solid foundation.

3 October 1993   Finished rehearsal a little while ago, so I felt I deserved a dessert and coffee. Behrens is in great form and is a very nice lady.
        I played very well (what a relief!), especially Elektra's opening monologue. Maestro said "Thank you" twice to me, and before we went in the room to start, he actually gave my cheek a little fatherly rub! I was astonished.
        There was only one moment where I screwed up rather royally, and that was the horrendous orchestral interlude right after Orest tells Elektra who he is. The first 8 bars were fine, then came the part where the violins jump up and down and up and down; I felt myself start to falter and I emitted an agonized yelp. Thank God Maestro laughed. I worked so damn hard on that passage. I can play it under tempo (big deal), but up to speed, I need three hands, or at least an extra pair of eyes. It's like flying blind, those leaps, and you have to keep the middle melody going too, switching it off from one hand to the other. It's a nightmare!

4 October 1993   Just finished staging rehearsal with Behrens and Barstow, their first two scenes. After playing the section Richard and I call "the Jaws music" (Klytemnestra's entrance), I got an emphatic "Very good!" from Behrens! Then, of course, in the euphoria of my success, I screwed up the scene after the Junger Diener's aria. But I redeemed myself with the "digging" interlude, which I thought I played very passably. It's scary--this score is just now starting to feel comfortable for me. I thought it would never happen.

5 October 1993   Behrens is a fascinating woman--small, slight, with that dramatic face. She comes to rehearsal in her little flat black shoes, long, filmy dancer's skirt over tights, and a rather frightful looking red chenille kimono-sleeved top that she's cut off at the bottom, leaving the ragged edge to curl and loose threads to hang about her waist. She wears her hair long, loose, and straight, so that from the back she could be taken for a bohemian teenager.
        Barstow is a trim, compact figure in her cotton t-shirts and trousers, pattering about in clean white sneakers, her frizzy mass of red hair pulled back in a tail.
        The two women are complete opposites in rehearsal. Barstow stops often, asks questions, discusses, and probes. Behrens is quieter, listening to the director with her great face in repose, sitting on the floor, or standing in a dancer's feet-apart stance, hands one over the other in front. Every once in a while, the face breaks into a smile, bones softening and shifting underneath the deep-set eyes. But for all her repose, you know she is constantly alert and thinking--you see it in the slight furrowing of her forehead or the set of her jaw.
        Rysanek starts rehearsal soon. At 67, she is a true Grande Dame of the Theatre.
        For me, the real opportunity is not seeing these legends perform on stage, but watching them work. It's one of the aspects of my job that I love most. Playing for Eschenbach is another. For such a small man, he radiates a presence and charisma both on and off the podium that is very daunting. The stern face with its watchful, penetrating eyes belies the gentle man inside; the heavily-accented voice is always soft, but somehow commands attention and respect.

7 October 1993   I have a session alone with Barstow today, to help her with memorization. She's not off book yet, and Maestro has complained to Gockley, who promptly replied, "All right, we'll fire her." Richard intervened, saying, "Let's wait a few days; we're giving her an hour every day with a pianist."
       Barstow's last show here was Rosenkavalier; she had done the Marschallin before, but in English. So poor Jay Rozendaal had to prompt the show. He had never prompted before in his life, and the stress manifested itself in a horrendous backache. I hope I won't have to prompt this show. I would die, I would simply die.
      Caught some of the Klytem./Elektra scene, which Richard played. Those two ladies are firebrands! Of course, everyone was paying court to Rysanek, it being her first day, but Richard told me that after I left the room, Behrens sang her end of the scene aria in full voice (she always marks in rehearsal) and absolutely nailed it, causing Miss Rysanek to burst into applause. Miss Behrens beamed in triumph.

31 October 1993   The street lights have just turned on. The sky is an iron gray, a strange transition from the brilliant blue it was an hour ago. West Gray is a fun street--all the buildings have been restored and painted stark white with black trim. The shops are all upscale, but not too; and of course, there is the inevitable Pier 1 Imports. Two kinds of bookstores: one large discount, the other small independent. Two kinds of movie theaters: one arthouse, the other multi-screen mainstream. The restaurants range from Black-Eyed Pea to Cafe Express to moderately priced Chinese and Italian. You can buy futons, antiques, house-roasted coffee beans, apple strudel, camping equipment, and evening gowns. Or, you can do as I do: hole up in Epicure 3 or 4 times a week with a book or a journal. Most of the street is lined on both sides with tall palm trees which are studded with small white lights at Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...