25 June 2012

Music Monday: The Memory of Music

     In an earlier post I wrote, "Music buddies are the BEST." In an even earlier post I explain why, so I won't go into it again now, except to say by way of preface to today's musical selection, that shared musical experiences not only make for lasting memories, but can also be the stuff that keeps a friendship going -- even if that friendship exists mainly by overseas communication.
     I have many such long-distance friends, but one in particular shares my love of the piano, pianists, and piano repertoire. Though not himself a professional pianist, he does play, and his knowledge of piano playing is sufficient to enable him to listen with ears as discerning and critical as my own. Our letters almost always mention some pianist or other, a particular recording, and strong recommendations thereof. In those very rare times when we actually see each other in person, our conversation inevitably turns to music in general and pianists in particular, and if possible, we like to listen to something together.
     One afternoon during one of our rare in-person visits, my friend introduced me to a live recording of Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli playing Beethoven's "Emperor" Concerto. Though I knew Benedetti Michelangeli's work, I'd never heard his interpretation of the "Emperor," live or otherwise. Listening to it that rainy afternoon, I was much impressed by the sheer arc of his performance, its cohesiveness, and the logic of his pacing which gives this interpretation its power. That, plus a very good lunch prepared by my friend, made for an unforgettable afternoon indeed, one that years later I commemorated in a poem.
 
         The Memory of Music
 
          Listen with me.
          I'll stretch a lifetime from a single afternoon
          of Benedetti Michelangeli.  Each note
          of Ludwig's "Emperor" will drop in memory's pool
          and ring on ring go rippling through the silent years
          without you.  All the sounds we share will resonate
          on friendship's timeless stream, and when at night I lie
          asleep, the waves will carry me to where you lie
          awakening in ochre light.  In music's craft,
          oceans are crossed.
 
          (01/11, first published in WestWard Quarterly )
 
     Note in this video (which, thankfully, gives us the concerto in its entirety) how Benedetti Michelangeli paces the opening flourishes, how he manages to sustain the chord progression and direction of the whole section, which can sometimes seem, in lesser hands, very fragmented. In the second movement, note his beautiful use of portato (not staccato, but a lifting of the hand between notes that are, at the same time, connected with the damper pedal) which makes every note of those downward passages sound like gentle raindrops (or perhaps teardrops); note also the lack of that sentimentality so prevalent in contemporary interpretations. He simply lets the plaintive beauty of Beethoven's melody shine in and of itself. Personally, I'd like a bit more brashness and exuberance in the third movement; nevertheless, there is a certain élan and a not unwelcome elegance in this reading.

 

1 comment:

  1. The Muses are working overtime today!
    I blogged this morning about recharging and included a video with Alfred Brendel playing the 2nd movement of the Emporer. It's a video that has a lot of still images as well. Some days I need to see that, rather than watching a performance.
    I do quite enjoy Michelangeli and will listen to this at some point in the next day or two.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...