15 June 2012

A Novice's Prayer to the Sacred Heart

Today is the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. To honor Him, I would like to post this sonnet, which I wrote during my novitiate, just four months before I left the monastery.


The Lesson

Upon Thy Heart pray suffer me to rest,
That as Thou lovest I may humbly learn;
Bequeath this gift which of all Thine is best;
Imperfect loves of earth and flesh I spurn!
O Heart, Whose wound such wondrous love hath shewn,
And whence elixir sweet doth copious flow,
Grant Thou that this Thy purging deluge drown
My sin; and then with perfect love bestow
My shriven heart.  Thou Teacher of all hearts,
To master well Thy lesson do I pray;
Thy loving art doth shame such earthly arts
As once I learnt, ere came this precious day
Thou dost vouchsafe to give Thy lesson free
To one who thirsteth deep to learn of Thee.

(07/06)
<


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...