23 June 2012

Saturday at the Opera

I have a soft spot for Purcell's operatic masterpiece Dido and Aeneas. It was the first show for which I served as chorus master at HGO (I was assistant chorus master on countless productions), and the first chorus (and, as far as I know, the only chorus) in which we used male altos. My sixteen singers were chosen carefully from HGO's chorus roster for having the most "Baroque-friendly" voices, and they were absolutely wonderful, as was the whole production by Toronto's Opera Atelier, which we imported lock, stock, and barrel (except for the chorus, of course). That whole experience was one of the happiest of my operatic career.

However, even if I'd never been given that experience, I would still have a soft spot for Dido. The score is simply stunning, and has one of the most heart-wrenchingly beautiful final death scenes in the entire opera repertory. I seldom listen to it without weeping.

For a synopsis of Dido and Aeneas, click here. 

The video below is not, alas, of the Opera Atelier/HGO production. In this extract of the final scene, which consists of Dido's Lament ("When I am Laid in Earth") and the sublime chorus "With drooping wings," the Dido is stunningly portrayed by Malena Ernman. William Christie leads the Les Arts Florissants. I don't know, however, where or when this production was done. If anyone out there does know, please leave a comment either here or on my Facebook page.



DIDO
Thy hand, Belinda; darkness shades me;
On thy bosom let me rest;
More I would, but death invades me;
Death is now a welcome guest.
When I am laid in earth, may my wrongs create
No trouble in thy breast.
Remember me, but, ah! forget my fate!

CHORUS
With drooping wings ye Cupids, come,
And scatter roses o'er her tomb,
Soft and gentle as her heart;
Keep here your watch, and never part.

[Libretto by Nahum Tate]

3 comments:

  1. This post reminds me of two things: 1) I have a DVD documentary about Janet Baker's last year on the opera stage. It was interesting but I don't think I would ever watch it again. Would you like it? and 2) The other day on HBO there was a woefully short (30 minute) documentary on a Master Class Renee Fleming gave. I am actually not a fan of Fleming--I respect her instrument, but I think she over emotes to the point of embarassing cliche--but I love observing master classes. Sad that they had to squeeze it all into 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'm not a big fan of Renee's singing either, though I've worked with her several times and like her as a person. I admire her for the intelligent way she's handled her career. The DVD on Baker does indeed sound very interesting. How may I send you my address?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...