11 November 2012

A Change of Pace

     I don't often write "humorous" poems. In fact, my sisters often tease me about my poetic voice, which is admittedly introspective and at times downright somber (or, as one sister bluntly puts it, "depressing"). But every once in while, something moves me to depart from my usual tone. I won't go into the "something" that prompted this poem, which was a particular recent event, but I will say that it was obviously influenced by Dorothy Parker, with a dash of Lewis Carroll thrown in for good measure.

          KATY DID
         
          Katy did a pretty tune
          All by her little lonely,
          And asked the owls beneath the moon
          To sing their praises only.

          "Too-whoo, too-whoo, to you?" said they,
          Impassive, eyes a-winking.
          "Do you not want that we should say
          What we be truly thinking?"

          "No, no!" cried Katy with a pout.
          "Not now, not ever, pray ye!
          The truth must never be said out,
          For it would surely slay me!"

          So Katy did what Katy will,
          And sang whatever pleased her;
          To truth she does not listen still,
          Since praise is always easier.

          © Leticia Austria 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...