08 November 2012

Haunted

Edvard Munch
"Girl in Nightgown"
 
Haunted
 
I cannot sleep; my mind's too full of him.
What right has he to haunt me, since I vowed
that I would no more think of him aloud,
but store him safe away inside my dim
attic of thoughts?  And if I sleep, I dream
of walking with him through a dappled wood;
then, waking, shadows of his visage cloud
my sight.  The morning's nascent sunbeams brim
with hazy phantoms from the night before
that sharpen in the glare of afternoon;
when evening glooms, I once again make grim
resolve that I will think of him no more;
at night I lie here staring at the moon.
I cannot sleep.  My mind's too full of him.
 
 
© Leticia Austria 2008
First published in Lucidity, in slightly altered form

George Clausen
"In the Wee Hours"






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...