16 February 2013

Good Intentions

     Lent began with every good intention to make the most of it on my part. At Ash Wednesday Mass, as we partook of the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ, I felt a more profound sense than I ever felt before that all of us were being united in and as Christ's mystical body. It was an overwhelming feeling, one of gratitude and certitude.
     The Tuesday before, I asked "Digital Nun" (a.k.a. Sr Catherine) to assign me a Bible book for my Lenten lectio divina (sacred reading). After praying about it, and without knowing anything about me, she assigned to me my favorite of the Pauline letters—Romans! I fairly yelped for joy. For those who aren't familiar with the monastic practice of lectio divina, it is different from other kinds of spiritual reading and study that may involve Biblical commentaries, writings by early Church fathers or saints, etc. Lectio divina is done only with the Scriptures themselves. After asking the Holy Spirit for guidance, you begin to read—slowly, taking in every word with care, without the intention of reading long passages, and without trying to analyze as you go. Inevitably, a word or a phrase will "jump out" at you. This is your precious nugget for the day, to meditate on, ruminate over, say in your mind again and again. Don't strain to understand it. The understanding will come.
     Of course, according to the Church's custom, I'm praying The Stations of the Cross every Friday. When I first returned to the church, the Stations were a favorite devotion of mine and I prayed them every week even outside of Lent. Why I let that practice go, I don't know, but now when I return to it during Lent, it never fails to move me deeply. I know most parishes pray the Stations as a community, usually on Fridays, which can be a very powerful experience, but I like praying them on my own, taking the time I need to meditate on each one.
     Abstinence from meat on Fridays, and fasting in general, is relatively easy at first. But Lent is a long season when one resolves to change one's usual eating habits. I suppose if I had better eating habits to begin with, Lent would be easier!
     I hope my good intentions will hold up through the coming weeks. "The spirit is willing, but ... " We all know the end of that quote!
     As I type this, the teenager next door is playing his stereo loudly enough for me to feel the measured thumping of its mega-bass through my walls. I wonder if he'll ever consider giving up his stereo for Lent?
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...