11 December 2012

Passeggiata (Stroll)

"Lovers in a Woodland Clearing"
John Atkinson Grimshaw

 
I know there are no pine trees in this lovely painting; still, I thought the image well-suited to this poem, one of my earlier efforts, and the first to be published for a wider audience.
 
Passeggiata (I)
[pah-sed-JAH-ta - the "i" is not pronounced]
 
Walk with me.
The path beckons, winking in the dawnlight,
And the pines' drowsy whisperings call us
To quiet joy.  The sun through the branches
Welcomes our like hearts with perceptive arms
Limpid with the memory of darkness.
Now is our moment of peace.  We are led
On this narrow way through familiar lands
Defined in my mind; for I have mapped out
All my memories in these woods and fields;
Each blade and limb and stone has its country,
And all sing to me of God's sure blessing.
Could He begrudge me your dear company,
Poignant and wistful as the rain lily
I pressed among words of silent longing?
You are here, belovèd, bright in my heart,
Mine alone for this all-too-fleeting joy,
This, my moment of highest fulfillment:
My spirit and yours, walking together,
Hand in hand.

Cammina con me.
Il sentiero accenna, ammiccando nella luce dell'alba,
E il sussurrare sonnolento dei pini si chiama
Alla gioia tranquilla.  Il sole fra i rami
Accoglie i nostri cuori con braccia perspicaci
Limpidi con la memoria del buio.
Ora è il nostro momento di pace.  Siamo condotti
Su questa stretta via attraverso terre familiari
Definite nella mia mente; perché ho mappato
Tutti i miei ricordi in questi boschi e campi;
Ogni filo d'erba e ramo e pietra ha la sua patria,
E tutto canta a me della certa benedizione di Dio.
Potrebbe Lui invidiarmi la tua cara compagnia,
Commovente e malinconica come il giglio selvatico
Da me pressato fra le parole di desiderio silente?
Tu sei qui, adorato, radioso nel mio cuore,
Il mio solo per tutta questa troppo fuggevole gioia,
Questo, il mio momento di maggiore appagamento:
Il mio spirito ed il tuo, a camminare insieme
Mano nella mano.
 
© Leticia Austria 2007
First published in English in The San Antonio Express-News
Italian translation by Federica Galetto, published in La Stanza di Nightingale
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...