24 January 2013

Plaisir d'amour

     For some reason which I can't remember now, I spent an hour on YouTube last night, listening to different renditions of that famous love song, "Plaisir d'amour." (For those who have only heard the Elvis Presley version, the original was written in 1784 by Jean-Paul-Égide Martini.) Ignoring Nana Mouskouri (not a fan at all) and Joan Baez (am a fan, but not when she sings this song), I sought out classical/opera singers' interpretations and narrowed my favorites down to a handful. (For the text in French and English, click here.)
     Of course, I love Janet Baker's sumptuous sound in everything she does, and "Plaisir d'amour is no exception.

    
     Victoria de los Angeles is another famous interpreter of the song. Though her earlier studio recording is beautiful and vocally fresh, I prefer this later, live performance, taped when she was just past her glorious prime. So soulful.  I wept when I first listened to it.

    
     I also succumbed to the charms of Yvonne Printemps' recording, sung with harpsichord. Printemps, who began her career in operetta before moving on to straight theater and film, brings theatricality and a touch of musical eccentricity to the piece. I find it particularly hard to resist the gut-grinding scoop with which she sings the second syllable of "chagrin" everytime she sings it.


     After listening to a number of male opera singers (Schipa, Gigli, Bruson, even Bastianini), I was won over by Fritz Wunderlich's clean, simple, yet heartfelt singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...