11 January 2013

Resignation

Not heaven, nor the stars that light its door,
Not pledge of troth, nor promises or vow,
Not breath, nor touch, nor heart's inviolate core
Have I required, nor do I ask them now.
The lips that only lover's lips could kiss,
The words that only lover's heart could say,
The silence shared in nights of deepest bliss,
These I could never have, nor ever may.
I've known my place, and to it I keep true;
The space between remains, since space must be;
I am all I could ever be to you,
And all that you could give, you've given me.
To this, my hope I willingly resign;
It is enough, for it alone is mine.

© Leticia Austria 2008
This sonnet is one of the original sonnet of sonnets from The Distant Belovèd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...