01 April 2013

A Children's Poem for Paschaltide

 
I saw the premiere jonquil
Nodding sweetly by the walk,
Her frilly golden bonnet
So serene upon her stalk.
 

I saw a purple martin
Sweeping madly to and fro;
He circled, swooped, and glided,
Beat his wings in flighty show.
 
I saw the squirrels a-scamper
On the clover-pillowed lawn;
One scurried 'long the fence-top
To survey the goings-on.
 
And turning my gaze upward
To the cirrus-marbled sky,
Heaven seemed a song away,
This life a fleeting-by.
 
For when all nature's glories
My enchanted eyes behold,
The riches of God's goodness
Like a cloak my heart enfold.
 
I thank Him for the jonquils,
For the martins and the squirrels,
For spring, that joyous season
When each leaf and bud unfurls
 
To praise the Risen Savior
And the promise of that spring,
The life that is eternal,
Which His death to us did bring.
 
 
© Leticia Austria 2006
 
 

 


1 comment:

  1. Lovely! I love the line 'on the clover-pillowed lawn'
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...