23 April 2013

From My Big Orange Book: Siegfried Sassoon

It has been quite a while since I posted something from My Big Orange Book, so let me once again explain what My Big Orange Book is. Years ago when I lived in Houston, I bought a big orange blank book at Borders. It was on sale for five dollars, so naturally I had to have it. But it was far too large and heavy to use as a journal, at least in the way I journal, which is to tote the journal around with me and write in cafes and restaurants. So I decided to use the big orange blank book to copy any poems, quotations, or song lyrics that moved me.
 
Today, I'd like to share a sonnet by Siegfried Sassoon titled "Strangeness of Heart."

When I have lost the power to feel the pang
Which first I felt in childhood when I woke
And heard the unheeding garden bird who sang
Strangeness of heart for me while morning broke;
Or when in latening twilight sure with spring,
Pausing on homeward paths along the wood,
No sadness thrills my thought while thrushes sing,
And I'm no more the listening child who stood
So many sunsets past and could not say
What wandering voices called from far away:
When I have lost those simple spells that stirred
My being with an untranslated song,
Let me go home forever; I shall have heard
Death; I shall know that I have lived too long.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...