26 April 2013

Marco Praga: The Ideal Wife, Part Two

(ACT I, cont'd.)
 
Scene 3
GIULIA, GUSTAVO
 
(Giulia remains at the door for a moment until Teresa has gone. She then closes the door softly and goes swiftly to Gustavo, who is standing with his back to the fire. She throws her arms round his neck.)
GUSTAVO     (Attempting to push her away gently.)  Take care; someone may come in.
GIULIA     No one will come. What a wonderful surprise you've given me! I didn't expect you this evening.  (Gustavo makes another attempt.)  Are you annoyed with me?
GUSTAVO     No, darling, but after all, we mustn't court danger.  (He slips from her embrace and sits.)
GIULIA     Danger? But there is none -- and you've never been much worried about that.
GUSTAVO     It's high time I started being sensible, and you, as well.
GIULIA     Don't you love me any more, then?
GUSTAVO     Of course I do; I shall always love you. But think, Giulia -- if someday I were to tell you we must leave each other and go back to being the good friends we once were, even then I would love you as I do now, as I did the day you became mine. You must believe me -- and you must obey me.
GIULIA     (Stricken.)  I would only believe it if I cease to love you.  (Suddenly runs to US door, opens it, looks outside, closes it again, runs back to Gustavo and sits beside him.)  Why are you telling me all this? Why do you say these things? Tell me, Gustavo, please, tell me!
GUSTAVO     To make you think clearly so that you may realize, once for all, your situation and ours.
GIULIA     Are you tired of me? Bored? Do you want to end it?
GUSTAVO     Hush! For God's sake!
GIULIA     How nervous you are tonight!
GUSTAVO     Because of this foolish recklessness of yours. Barely is your husband down the stairs and Teresa out of the room, and you throw your arms round my neck. He might have come back in, and that would've been your ruin; or she  might have, and we'd have no more peace -- at the very least, we should both look ridiculous.
GIULIA     Gustavo! You worry as much about my being ruined as you do about looking ridiculous in front of the maid?  (Pauses.)  You're merely pretending, and the worry of pretending makes you say horrible things.  (Sits at the table and buries her face in her hands.)
GUSTAVO     (Lights a cigarette.)  Darling, you don't understand --
GIULIA     Oh, be quiet! You are right; I don't understand anything; you're making my head spin! Oh, God -- and I thought your visit tonight would be such a treat for me!  (Gustavo makes an impatient gesture. He gets up and goes to the fireplace. Giulia looks at him for a moment, then goes to him, affectionate once again.)  Tell me the truth, Gustavo. What is wrong with you? We've not seen each other these two days. Has something happened? Something that has annoyed you? Are you unwell? Tell me, tell me -- you're not angry with me, are you? Tell me, Gustavo.  (Begins to embrace him, but he gently pushes her away.)  No, no, I won't touch you -- someone may see us like this. There, is that better? But tell me what's happened. I'll forgive you anything. I know -- it's something to do with your business -- something tiresome.
GUSTAVO     No, nothing like that.
GIULIA     Yes -- you're in bad humour. Do you want to leave? Are you sorry you came? We'll see each other tomorrow, then after ... well, then. Do you want to go?
GUSTAVO     Are you sending me away?
GIULIA     No -- but I'm afraid I'm annoying you. I'm afraid that if you stay you may say more hurtful things to me without reason, and I must forgive you; for I know you're in bad humour, that is all. Tomorrow you'll be your old self again.  (Takes the cigarette from his mouth and embraces him.)
GUSTAVO     What, again?!
GIULIA     No, no, I won't touch you! And you won't tell me why you're so worried, so ill-humoured? Come, tell me; it would make me feel so much better. Tell me everything, then.
GUSTAVO     (Moves away from the fireplace and begins to pace. Giulia remains with her face towards the mirror in which she watches him.)  Good God, how you blow everything out of proportion! What have I said, after all? Only what is right. Women are said to have so much insight and sensitivity where men are concerned, yet sometimes you still manage to misunderstand. For instance, you don't understand that here in your house, your husband's house, I've no wish to be anything but a friend to you. Speaking as an honest man, my conscience is repulsed by the idea of betraying him under his own roof. I am incensed by it all!
GIULIA     Since when?
GUSTAVO     Since -- always! In the first days of our affair, when I was carried away by passion, I was able to put your husband from my mind. But I can't anymore. I tell you, it's time to be sensible, and I am being sensible.
GIULIA     You're lying, as well!  (Turns away.)  Oh, how you lie! And you speak of having the conscience of an honest man! What conscience? What honesty? Do you know what the real truth is, the only  truth? If you say you no longer love me, without dissimilating, and with no hypocrisy. Because you don't  love me anymore; I know that very well. You are so changed and have been for some time now. There was a time when it pained you not to be able to come here often to see me, and the time we did have together wasn't enough for you, no matter where we were! And you sought excuses to come, even resorted to subterfuge. And now -- after you obviously didn't feel the need to see me for two days -- when I saw you come in tonight and heard the reason for your visit, I knew immediately it was just a pretence. I know very well you are not worried about your brother. And I was glad of it, and thought the old Gustavo had come back -- so I threw my arms round you! But it was only an excuse to tell me you are leaving me.  (Silence.)  Have you no answer? Have you nothing at all to say?
GUSTAVO     (Lighting another cigarette.)  What would you have me say to all this absurdity?
GIULIA     Absurdity, is it? No more absurd than everything you said only a moment ago.
GUSTAVO     What right have you to doubt what I said?
GIULIA     Poor man! Do you think, then, that I can justify your coldness, your revulsion, with a sudden reawakening of your conscience, a sudden ... compassion for my husband?  (Hearing the US door opening, she composes herself.
TERESA     (In the doorway.)  Signora ...
GIULIA     What is it?
TERESA     It's past nine. Shall I put the boy to bed?
GIULIA     Yes, of course. Did he study his lesson?
TERESA     Only for a little, I'm afraid.
GIULIA     It doesn't matter. Put him to bed; it's late.  (Teresa exits. Gustavo goes again to the fireplace. The US door reopens and Teresa re-enters, leading Giannino by the hand.)  Good night, my darling.  (She hugs him; he turns to leave.)  Won't you say goodnight to Signor Velati?  (Giannino goes to Gustavo, who bends down to kiss him. He then exits, Teresa holding his hand. A long silence, then Giulia sits without looking at Gustavo.)  You used to be jealous of my husband becaue I've always had the decency, or the good fortune, not to hate him, as almost all women who have lovers hate their husbands. They neglect them and treat them ill. But not I. He is a good, honest man, and he loves me.  He is the father of my child! I was never in love with him; perhaps that's why it's easy for me to be fond of him; for we women only hate men that we've been in love with, then fallen out of love with. But, although I felt an irresistible and, unfortunately, fatal need to fall in love with another man, I still know how to remain the loving little wife in my husband's eyes. You were jealous of the care I took, of my affection for him. You even had the audacity at one time not to believe I loved you, and told me so, because to you it seemed impossible that I could bear having another man near me while I loved you.  (Turns to Gustavo, who is still sitting, and draws her own chair closer to him. She continues affectionately.)  Do you remember the argument we had? I told you: "Gustavo, I love you, and it is my love for you that makes me good, patient, and wise -- yes, wise; for I don't want to lose you. I want to be yours forever. If I were foolish and compromised myself, if I gave him any reason to suspect or doubt me, if I were to displease him, our peace would be lost, and perhaps the danger would push you away from me. If he were to know everything one day, what would happen? You, being a good and upright man, would not leave me. But would your love survive, deep and overpowering, with no worries or bother, without spoiling your life or compromising your career? Would I become a bother to you one day? You see, that prospect frightens, terrifies me. It is becaue of this fear of losing you through my own fault, that I find the strength to pretend to be the ideal wife in his eyes." Do you remember? You were convinced, and our argument ended in a kiss. Is it possible that you don't love me anymore? The fault is mine -- I loved you too much! And now I bore you. You're too secure of my love. Isn't it so? Gustavo?  (The doorbell is heard. giulia starts and glances at the door, then bends over Gustavo and kisses him passionately on the mouth. She moves away and composes herself just before Andrea enters.)
 
END SCENE
 
Scene 4
GIULIA, ANDREA, GUSTAVO
 
ANDREA     Ooh, it's cold out there! It must be at least five below.
GUSTAVO     Is it snowing?
ANDREA     A little.  (To Giulia.)  Did I make curfew? It's twenty past.
GIULIA     You're five minutes late.
GUSTAVO     But there's a five-minute tolerance period.
ANDREA     If wives have any tolerance.  (Changing the subject.)  I've already done some preliminary investigating. However, nothing's certain yet.
GUSTAVO     Thank you. But you can understand, given my brother's tendency towards excessiveness, why I've no doubt he may put himself at risk.
ANDREA     Yes, quite. Are you leaving? Won't you have some tea?
GIULIA     (Rising.) I've already offered. He says he has a meeting at half-past nine. Actually, he was about to leave, and I would have been all alone if you had not returned.  (To Gustavo.)  When will you dine with us? Day after tomorrow, perhaps? It's Sunday. On any other day, one never knows at what hour we dine -- because of Andrea's work, you know.
ANDREA     We shall expect you.
GUSTAVO     But --
GIULIA     And bring Monticelli with you. He's such an amiable young man. Isn't he, Andrea?
ANDREA     Both of you, then -- half-past seven.
GUSTAVO     I thank you; but, regretfully, I'm leaving town tomorrow --
ANDREA     Oh, that is only an excuse!
GUSTAVO     I have business in Turin.
GIULIA     Really? .... When you return, then.
ANDREA    We're counting on it.
GUSTAVO    Thanks awfully. Signora -- good evening.  (Exits.)
 
END SCENE
 
Scene 5
GIULIA, ANDREA, TERESA
 
ANDREA     Why didn't you urge him to stay?
GIULIA     I asked him before, but he has that appointment. Perhaps that was only a pretence; perhaps he was bored. He was here for some time.
ANDREA     I wanted to tell him something.
GIULIA     What?
ANDREA     Concerning his brother.
GIULIA     Didn't you already tell him?
ANDREA     There was something more.
GIULIA     Something serious?
ANDREA     Quite. He's involved himself in a most dicey business, and the prognosis is not good. I've already heard something about it.
GIULIA     Poor man! You should have warned him!
ANDREA     I didn't have the courage. I wanted to prepare him, you see -- if he'd stayed longer -- . We may have to take definite action on Monday. At any rate, I've already taken some measures; I could see it through alone.
GIULIA     You?
ANDREA     Yes.
GIULIA     But wouldn't you be putting yourself at risk as well?
ANDREA     No, no; all that's needed is an authorization.
GIULIA     Warning his brother is all very well, but if it puts you in the same predicament --
ANDREA     Don't worry. Is Giannino in bed?
GIULIA     Yes.
ANDREA     I'm going, too. This weather has made me tired.
GIULIA     Yes, go on to bed.
ANDREA     And I must rise early tomorrow; I'm going to Genova.
GIULIA     Genova?
ANDREA     Yes.
GIULIA     Will you be away for long?
ANDREA     No, just the day. I leave at half-past eight and should return by evening.
GIULIA     In this weather, and you not feeling well? Send someone in your place.
ANDREA     Impossible, my dear.
GIULIA     Are we dining without you tomorrow?
ANDREA     I rather think I'll  be dining without you and Giannino.
GIULIA     Too bad.  (Rings the bell.)  Go right to bed, darling. And don't sit up too long reading, as you usually do.  (To Teresa, who has entered.)  Is the fire lit in Signor's room?
TERESA     Yes, Signora.
ANDREA     (To Teresa.)  I'll be rising at six tomorrow.  (Exit Teresa.)
GIULIA     Six? To leave at half-past eight?
ANDREA     I have to stop at my office first.  (Lights a candle.)  Good night, my dear. I'll not see you in the morning. You wouldn't want to get up so early, would you?
GIULIA     Yes. I'll see you off.
ANDREA     Thank you.  (Exit.)
GIULIA     (Closes door through which Andrea has exited, then goes to US door, opens it, and calls out.)  Teresa?
TERESA     (OS )  Signora?
GIULIA     Wake me at half-past seven, do you hear? There'll be nothing else tonight.  (Closes the door. Walks slowly DS, stops at the fireplace and looks at herself in the mirror. Then she pulls a chair close to the fire, sits, and stretches out her legs to warm her feet near the burning coals.)
 
END OF ACT I
 
[To be continued in a later post.]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...