27 April 2013

Marco Praga: The Ideal Wife (Part Three)

ACT II
A salon in Gustavo Velati's house. Doors US and on both sides. Window, R. A desk, L. Elegant furnishings. Weapons, knickknacks, paintings, photographs.
 
Scene 1
GUSTAVO, COSTANZO
(Gustavo is stretched out on the divan. Enter Costanzo US.)
 
GUSTAVO     Is that you, Costanzo? Hallo.
COSTANZO     Ah -- the idle rich! There's always some poor chump who'll fetch and carry for them. Isn't that so? Your note this morning clearly demonstrates it:  (Pulls a note from his pocket and read.)  "Feeling a bit wretched today, will not come to office. Request deferment of Caudalari suit, send Ponti contract to Registry, to hell with the clients, if they come." All of which I've done. I obtained the deferment, sent the contract, and --
GUSTAVO     Told the clients to go to hell?
COSTANZO     To heaven. More certain they shan't want to come back. Let's see what's the matter with you.  (Places his hand on Gustavo's wrist.)  Slight fever. And your face is chalky -- lucky man! You won't  be seeing clients today!  (Hands him a parcel.)  Here is the Corbellini-Trevisani file with the opposing argument. Look it over soon; the hearing is scheduled for the twelfth.
GUSTAVO     (Looking towards the window.)  I'd say you're in for it today.
COSTANZO     Yes, it's snowing. Come to me, o lust for labor!
GUSTAVO     'Tisn't lust for labor I'm lacking.
COSTANZO     No -- 'tis the will, the desire, the vigour -- or what do you call it? Just so we understand each other.
GUSTAVO     My friend, I'm in the lowest of spirits -- morally ill, I assure you. And if I don't get out of the situation in which I now find myself, I don't know how it shall end.
COSTANZO     Ah.
GUSTAVO     It may end with my closing the office, the house, and going away.
GUSTAVO     I'd hand it over to you lock, stock, and barrel.
COSTANZO     (Draws a chair near him and sits.)  Joking aside -- what is it?
GUSTAVO     Are you asking me to confide in you?
COSTANZO     If you trust me.
GUSTAVO     As a friend, I do; you've proven yourself. But I fear you might not be completely serious with me.
COSTANZO     In times of need, friendship is the guarantor of sobriety.
GUSTAVO     Here it is, then: I find myself in the situation of a man -- who has a lover -- and he now finds it necessary to -- end it.
COSTANZO     Necessary on her part, or his?
GUSTAVO     His.
COSTANZO     Yours, you mean. Then pay her and take your leave.
GUSTAVO     And if she's not the sort one pays?
COSTANZO     Pass her on to a friend.
GUSTAVO     (Stands up abruptly in annoyance.)  You call that serious! I need to confide in someone; I need help and advice. Why did I ever confide in you?
COSTANZO     Come here!  (Crosses to him.)  Listen -- (Whispering.)  -- is it Signora Campiani?
GUSTAVO     You know?!
COSTANZO     The whole world knows!
GUSTAVO     Oh -- the whole world knows, and you never told me?
COSTANZO     I like that! You're the one who never said a word to me! It wouldn't have been "office etiquette" -- unfortunately.
GUSTAVO     I told no one about this.
COSTANZO     Nevertheless. Are you so surprised? Let's say we took a stroll along the Corso between four and six o'clock Of all the ladies we encounter, I could tell you which of them have lovers. I could even give you names. Don't look so appalled! I'd only be telling you what you know already -- what everyone knows. Even the husbands, some of them. But not good old Campiani! 
GUSTAVO     "Good old Campiani." You sound as though you're making sport of him.
COSTANZO     Yes, well, I should say we both  are.
GUSTAVO     Still -- if there's one deceived husband who shouldn't be made sport of, it's Campiani.
COSTANZO     Oh?
GUSTAVO     Certainly. He has no reason to doubt his wife. I dare say he hasn't the right.
COSTANZO     Tosh!
GUSTAVO     I'm perfectly serious. She is a singular woman, incomprehensible to anyone who observes her at home yet knows she is unfaithful, because she manages to belong to two men at once. She gives her heart and flesh to one; to the other, her mind and soul. Thus, she is both passionate lover and loving wife. This is why her adoring husband never suspects a thing! Tell me: does the poor husband ever find out his wife's transgression? If he does, it's because the wife gives herself away. It's true! From the day a woman takes a lover, she considers her husband a nuisance -- treats him indifferently, neglects him, or denies him husbandly rights. The good man, seeing she no longer loves him, must necessarily think that someone or something has taken his place. So he begins to doubt and become suspicious. He observes his wife, scrutinizes her every act and word, and his doubt increases. He spies, sleuths, sets traps. And then he finds the lover.
COSTANZO     And the indiscreet servants? The anonymous letters? What about all those tell-tale signs of conjugal infidelity?
GUSTAVO     Those things are found more in the theatre than in real life, but at times they may indeed play a part as complementary or reinforcing elements, and are very effective when doubt has already begun to insinuate itself. But, see here, if an anonymous letter were sent to Campiani, he would tear it up in disgust; or, better still, he'd show it to his wife and the two of them would have a good laugh over it after dinner.
COSTANZO     You think so?
GUSTAVO     I'm sure of it. You've no idea how Giulia is towards her husband. She is poetic in her affection, a model of loving care, not one misstep or oversight; never does she falter. Yet, with me, she is an ardent lover. Nothing deters or daunts her; she'll take all sorts of reckless chances when she thinks them necessary. If I haven't been to see her for a week, she comes to my office, You've seen her there. But upon returning home, she makes no effort to hide it; she tells her husband of her visit, as naturally and easily as you please, conjuring up a convincing reason for it. And after having left me and gone back to him, she shows no sign of sulkiness, shame, or annoyance. Rather, she is vivacious and affectionate. She may even have the foresight to bring him a little gift, just a small something to show him he is always in her mind, that she thinks of no one but him, whether she's with him or not; she finds the sweetest, most loving words to murmur in his ear. And he, who is certainly no fool, thinks the world would come to an end before he'd suspect his wife of infidelity.
COSTANZO     Does she love you?
GUSTAVO     I don't know. But surely no woman in love has done better or more than Giulia has done for me.
COSTANZO     Well, that's marvellous.
GUSTAVO     D'you want to hear more? Remember last year I went to Brescia to argue a case? Well -- I'd only been there a few hours when Giulia appears. "My darling," she said, "I have a cousin who lives here. So I've come to spend a few days with her. Is this not a fine opportunity?" She stayed three days. when I wasn't in court, she was with me -- but when I was, do you know how she spent her time? Writing letters to her husband, pages and pages, full of affection, telling his all sorts of pretty stories. In her first letter she wrote: "You'll never guess -- Velati is here is town! I've introduced him to cousin Elena, who found him very agreeable. confidentially, I believe he is quite taken with her!" And the day before she went home, she wrote: "I return tomorrow. I'm enjoying myself well enough here, but I cannot stay any longer. I miss you and Giannino so."
COSTANZO     Marvellous.
GUSTAVO     But all this apparently brazen behaviour comes not from corruption of spirit, nor is it calculated on her part. She is by nature truly good -- and she isn't even aware of it.
COSTANZO     My good man, I wonder if this woman is indeed the ideal wife!
GUSTAVO     "Ideal" is a relative term.
COSTANZO     Relative, yes -- as is everything in this world, including honesty. Tell me -- what is ideal to a man with a limp? Is it to be able to walk perfectly? No, indeed, for he knows very well that that is impossible. His ideal is simply to find a pair of shoes that will make his seem to walk perfectly. Nowadays, in this corrupt society in which we live, in which a woman is surrounded by temptations, and everything conspires against her integrity, the completely prudent and faithful wife is an exception; she is an idol to whom we should build an altar. The man who possesses her is a being privileged beyond the laws of the world. But for most, the ideal must be a woman who manages to remain a good, loving wife towards her husband, even if she has a lover. She must avoid scandal and the unhappiness of her children, and maintain peace at home, a true and sincere peace; not the fictitious, conventional sort such as that one so often sees; the sort that merely camouflages scorn and hostility. Don't you agree?
GUSTAVO     With that kind of thinking, I shouldn't ever want a wife!
COSTANZO     Precisely -- and so I shall never have one.  (Pause.)  So you must -- that is, you want to leave this woman?
GUSTAVO     Yes.
COSTANZO     What for?
GUSTAVO     Because our affair has already lasted two years, and cannot last the rest of our lives!
COSTANZO     Is that all? Eh, my friend, it seems that when it concerns matters of the heart you are not completely honest! May I correct you? You want to leave her because you no longer love her.
GUSTAVO     And what if that's true? Would that be my fault? Can one's heart be controlled? I've loved her these two years, without even a thought of another woman. And now I don't love her; should I feel guilty? Who would condemn me for it?
COSTANZO     Who's condemning? Has anyone said anything of the sort to you? Good God, but you're sensitive!
GUSTAVO     My friend, it's a sensitive situation I'm in. I swear to you, Costanzo, the distaste of being tied to a woman I no longer love is a thousand times stronger than the joy I felt at our first assignation. A stale love is like an extortionist whom you cannot pay, who sucks the very blood from your veins!
COSTANZO     I believe you!
GUSTAVO     It won't do for me. I'm thirty years old, with no family, living in someone else's house .... I'd have to be a much younger man to find all this attractive. I've got to think of my future.
COSTANZO     I understand. You want a wife.  (Pause.)  Well, my friend, it's always difficult to break the chain -- even more so with a woman like that. Best summon the courage and tell her.
GUSTAVO     Tell her what?
COSTANZO     That you no longer love her.
GUSTAVO     You think I should find the courage, do you? I've reduced my visits to her house, I've been remote and cold towards her -- all to no avail. Last night, after avoiding her for a week, I went to see her, determined to find a way to end it.
COSTANZO     And?
GUSTAVO     We left each other more friendly than ever. If only I could end it! After all, she doesn't deserve this cold treatment. Perhaps it's more cruel than one decisive blow .... If only I had the courage to do it! I wrote her a long letter last night --
COSTANZO    Telling her you no longer love her?
GUSTAVO     Oh, no, no! I couldn't say that. I wrote that it is necessary to leave each other.
COSTANZO     She'll come looking for you, then you'll leave each other, yes -- more friendly than ever.
GUSTAVO     She thinks I'm gone for the time being. Which is another reason I didn't go to the office today.
ETTORE     (Entering US.)  Pardon me, but there is a lady asking to see you.
GUSTAVO     Good God! I can't escape these clients, not even in my own home!
COSTANZO     (Softly.)  Perhaps it's she!
GUSTAVO     Oh, no -- impossible!  (To Ettore.)  Did she give her name?
ETTORE     No, Signore.
GUSTAVO     Did you tell her that I have company?
ETTORE     Yes, I said you were with the lawyer Monticelli. She said she knows him.
GUSTAVO     (To Costanzo.)  It can't be she!  (To Ettore.)  Show her in.  (Exit Ettore.)
COSTANZO     Hadn't I better clear out?
GUSTAVO     Where? Anyhow, she already knows you're here.  (Enter Giulia.)
 
END SCENE
 
Scene 2
GIULIA, GUSTAVO, COSTANZO
 
GIULIA     "Honi sort qui mal y pense!"  (To Costanzo.)  Good day to you!  (To Gustavo.)  Hello, Velati. They told me at your office you aren't feeling well. So I asked for you (to Costanzo ).  Then I thought: I desperately need to speak with Velati about a matter very personal to him. Could I go to his house? After all, I would find a mutual friend there ... it wouldn't be just the two of us, alone. Was I right, then? Or wrong? I don't really know .... after all, are we or are we not friends? And one must take chances for one's friends. (To Costanzo.)  Don't you think so?
COSTANZO     Only when one has nothing to fear.
GIULIA     (Looks at him sharply for a moment, then turns to Gustavo.)  Didn't you go to Turin?  (To Costanzo.)  And weren't you to go, as well?  (Gustavo offers her a chair; she sits.)
COSTANZO     In fact -- that is -- he was to go -- but we had a telegram this morning -- a deferment --
GIULIA     Ah, a deferment! Yes -- I also was depending on that deferment (turning to Gustavo ) in order to see you today.  (Pause.)  Well, as I said before, I must speak with you about a very important matter.  (Seeing that Costanzo is gathering some papers and preparing to leave.)  Must you go? No need for such discretion, my dear friend. I shall say what I have to say to Velati, then we'll leave together. All right?
COSTANZO     As you wish.
GIULIA     (To Gustavo.)  It's to do with your brother. Oh, I beg pardon -- I didn't think. Perhaps Monticelli ... ?
GUSTAVO    Costanzo is my good friend; he knows everything about me.
GIULIA     Everything?
GUSTAVO     Everything a man would confide to a friend when he requires his friend's advice.
GIULIA     Well -- as you know, my husband sought out some information last night. And he told you he didn't find out anything. But --
GUSTAVO     But?
GIULIA     Not to worry; it isn't gravely serious. He only heard that your brother has involved himself in a slightly risky affair. Andrea didn't want to tell you last night, for fear of worrying you too much. He told me after you left, and that he had already taken steps to remedy the situation.
GUSTAVO     Such as?
GIULIA     I don't know. But he assured me that nothing serious would happen, thanks to these measures he thought best to take immediately.
GUSTAVO     (Rising.)  I had better see him right away.
GIULIA     Oh, Andrea isn't there. He left early this morning for Genova. So I thought perhaps -- you know how impressionable we women are, and how we're always imagining all sorts of things -- I thought someone else might come here today to inform you about this and worry you needlessly -- in short, I feared some catastrophe -- . And then, since my husband is away today, I thought I myself should come right away to reassure you. I went to your office, then here. Monticelli, don't you think I was duty-bound by friendship to do so? You would defend me, wouldn't you, if necessary? Oh, by the way -- my husband would like you to dine with us, both of you. So long as you are both here, shall we say tomorrow at six?
COSTANZO    (Preparing to go.)  I thank you; it would be a great pleasure.
GIULIA     Must you go? Won't you wait for me?  (Rises and crosses to him, whispering, half-serious and half-teasing.)  Now, you mustn't make any hasty judgements! But if you will, use a little discretion.  (Aloud.)  Till tomorrow, then.
COSTANZO     Yes, tomorrow.  (To Gustavo.)  Will you be coming to the office?
GUSTAVO     Yes, I'll be there shortly.  (Exit Costanzo.)
 
END SCENE.
 
[To be continued.]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...